[seqfan] Re: Please help to check A074140.

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Aug 4 19:45:26 CEST 2013

At one time, we had simply the A&S ordering and the Mathematica
ordering. Other orderings were defined in terms of these where
possible. Objections were raised to both of these names, on the grounds
that neither was the original source of that ordering. (They are, in
fact, the immediate sources for these orderings in the OEIS.) The
standard was that sequences presenting some property of each partition
should be present in both orders. A start was made at trying to adhere
to this standard, but it didn't get very far. (Neil asked me at the
time to make the effort, but I did not have sufficient free time
available to take it on.)

This was replaced with the current terminology by someone. In my mind,
this was a step backwards: it introduces obscure descriptive words,
which are neither intuitive nor used in the literature; and it
conflates the order of the partitions with the order of presentation of
the parts of each partition.

I am not in a position to do a literature search, but it does not
appear that there are standard names in the literature for any of these
orderings. If someone can find that there are, we should certainly
adopt them (and add appropriate references). Otherwise, we should
decide on names we consider appropriate for our two primary orderings,
perhaps by finding the first publication of each, and use those.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters