[seqfan] Re: Decimal expansions related to Metallic Means, and Pascal Triangle

William Keith william.keith at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 17:25:59 CEST 2013

>From the content of your response, and forgive me if I miss in my
estimation, I suspect that you are not familiar with generating functions
for sequences.  This is one of the most important and useful tools that you
can have at your disposal in these investigations.

Fortunately, the best introductory textbook in the area is absolutely free
: Herb Wilf's generatingfunctionology, a download from

http://www.math.upenn.edu/~wilf/DownldGF.html .

In fact, the Fibonacci numbers' generating function is an example in the
first chapter.  This textbook will help introduce you to a large amount of
the standard terminology.

Some of the other readers on the list might chime in with some helpful lit
for people getting started with integer sequences as well.

Cordially,
William J. Keith