[seqfan] Re: Format for references in OEIS.

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 02:03:22 CET 2013

I am strongly opposed to requiring a rigid format for references.
I add a lot of references myself, which is very time-consuming,
and if I had to put them into
a standard format it would take
twice as long and I just wouldn't do it.
Plus there really cannot be a standard format which
will apply to journal articles, conf proceedings,
theses, preprints, newspaper articles, articles
on home pages, blog posts,
etc

Plus we have about 240,000 refs and links right now (I just
counted them) and it would be impossible to
make them uniform.

References are like people - or dogs - they come in many
different formats and we just have to be tolerant!

Neil