[seqfan] Re: 23 sequences

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 19:53:51 CET 2013

>> Finally, it would be a good thing if the OEIS editing application could be
>> modified to detect and disallow nonascii characters in a submission of a
>> sequence or edit containing them.
>

> That's a good idea.

I disagree.
Actually, it is also impossible :
Several contributors have non-ASCII characters even in their name.
And I think this is a step into the good direction.

Earlier extensions to ASCII (like ANSI or the "isolatin" character sets)
were right from the beginning "condemned" to
(a) not being able to contain sufficiently many non-ASCII letters and symbol
   (not even accented characters only),
and (therefore)
(b) to become obsolete sooner or later.

This is not the case for UTF-8 which is today a widespread standard,
(used for sending the OEIS web pages, to store data in the main OEIS
database, and also on the wiki)
and can be assumed to live as long as bytes are used as basic unit to
store and transmit data.

Regards,
Maximilian