[seqfan] Re: A004919 to A004975

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 17:30:49 CET 2013

Robert, I agree that in recent years "phi" has become more
popular than "tau" as a symbol for the golden ratio. But
for many years tau was the symbol used (perhaps because phi was reserved
for the totient function).

At one point I thought about trying to make the usage consistent
throughout the OEIS, but there are just too many uses of both symbols.

I certainly agree that when there is a series of related
sequences, they should be consistent. That would have to be
done by hand, however.

Neil