[seqfan] Re: Error in the example for A003313

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Jul 17 05:03:12 CEST 2013

See

http://codegolf.stackexchange.com/questions/3177/knuths-power-tree

This tree, which uses a greedy heuristic (there isn't a unique greedy
heuristic for this problem) generates a tree (the Power Tree) which
provides something reasonably close to optimal addition chains for all
n, but not actually optimal for all. (If I remember correctly, 74 is
the first exception). A list of those numbers whose position in this
tree does not correspond to an optimal addition tree for it would be a
good addition to the database.

A related question, on A008057: "Smallest sum of an addition chain for
2n+1." Does anyone have access to the reference there -

H. Zantema, Minimizing sums of addition chains, J. Algorithms, 12
(1991), 281-307. -

Does he prove that for 2n, you always get a minimal sum by generating
the chain for n and then adding a doubling step? This is a question I
have wondered about for some time.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters