[seqfan] Re: Error in the example for A003313

Rob Arthan rda at lemma-one.com
Wed Jul 17 09:02:15 CEST 2013

Knuth gives an explicit rule for constructing the "power tree". 1 is the root of the tree (Vol. 2., Sec. 4.6.3, Ex. 5). When all nodes of depth k have been constructed, the nodes at depth k+1 are constructed working from left to right. If the path from the root to n is a_1 = 1, a_2, …., a_k -= n, the children of n are obtained from the list n + a_1, n + a_2, …, n + a_k = 2n by deleting entries that have already been put in the tree.

I see now that Knuth's Ex. 12 on this topic is to prove that a tree of optimal additional chains cannot be extended indefinitely to include all positive integers. To my surprise he rates this as a simple exercise (M10). It turns out that the proof he has in mind is simple given a harder fact that he has already proved. This proof doesn't give a good bound on the smallest N (namely 149) such that a tree giving optimal addition chains for all n with 1 <= n <= N cannot be constructed.

Regards,

Rob.