[seqfan] Re: Editing someone else's comment

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 19:55:49 CEST 2013

For what it's worth, in my opinion, there should be no hesitation to
correct misspellings, provided of course one is absolutely certain one is
fully understanding what is being said.

If I understand correctly what you mean by "historicity," then I believe
that only becomes a concern in the case of conjectures and discoveries,
like the 3-perfect numbers example you give, then there should be
hesitation to edit old comments. In that particular case, unless Jon can
point us to the proof that all 3-perfect numbers are known, his comment
should be deleted so that Daniel's question stands open-ended until such
time as someone can give a proof.

Al

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Hans Havermann <gladhobo at teksavvy.com>wrote:

> R.J. Mathar's 2009 comment in http://oeis.org/A146556 misspells
> lose/loses twice. One does not feel empowered to edit such comments lest
> one destroy the historicity of the effort. Even if Richard himself were to
> edit it, would he be obliged to change the date?
>
> In a similar vein, I recently had a look at http://oeis.org/A005820 with
> an eye to clarifying the two existing comments but feeling pretty much
> helpless in so doing. Both Daniel Forgues and Jon Perry refer to Achim
> Flammenkamp's The Multiply Perfect Numbers Page. That page, last updated in
> February 2013, has (for "all discovered?") "yes and proved" for abundancy
> 1, and just "yes" for abundancy 3. The implicit implication is that, for
> A005820, the finitude and completeness is NOT proved (something made more
> explicit near the bottom of Walter Nissen's linked page). This is why
> (presumably) A005820 does not entertain keywords "fini" and "full". So why
> does Daniel ask "Is there a proof that there are no other 3-perfect
> numbers?" and Jon answer "this list is complete". Argh!

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com<https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlonsoDelarte>
Musician at ReverbNation.com <http://www.reverbnation.com/alonsodelarte>