[seqfan] Re: A100083

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Jul 28 23:03:16 CEST 2013

But your [1] is not true. It is about as far from being true as one can
imagine. You can choose an arbitrary p-adic integer c_p for each p, and
construct a sequence S which converges to c_p in the p-adic integers
for every prime p.

Let me give an example: take c_2 = 1, and c_p = 0 for every other p.
Now start looking at factorials:

2! = 2, so we need 1 (mod 2); a(2) = 1
3! = 2 * 3, we need 1 (mod 2) and 0(mod 3) => 3 (mod 6); a(3) = 3
4! = 2^3 * 3, we need 1 (mod 8) and 0 (mod 3), giving 9 (mod 24); a(4)
= 9
5! = 2^3 * 3 * 5; so we need 1 (mod 8), 0 (mod 3) and 0 (mod 5) => 105
(mod 120); a(5) = 105
6! = 2^4 * 3^2 * 5; 225 == 1 (mod 16), 0 (mod 9) and 0 (mod 5); so a(6)
= 225

So the desired sequence starts 1, 3, 9, 105, 225, ...
(Arguably there should be an initial 0 there, but that is not relevant
to the current discussion.)

Franklin T. Adams-Watters