[seqfan] Re: Permutations with 2K-2 odd displacements, formula?

Ron Hardin rhhardin at att.net
Sun Jun 2 13:05:09 CEST 2013

I suppose it's easy to prove, given the answer

Define a permutation by four choosings:

Order the even elements (factorial((n+1)/2))
Order the odd elements (factorial(n/2))
The first k-1 even elements go to the first k-1 odd elements in all ways
(binomial(n/2,k-1))
The first k-1 odd elements go to the first k-1 even elements in all ways
(binomial((n+1)/2,k-1))

The remaining even elements appear in unfilled even slots in their new order
The remaining odd elements appear in unfilled odd slots in their new order

Assuming this is right, the word empirical can be dropped and the formula gets
promoted to the title, and the problem to a comment.

 rhhardin at mindspring.com
rhhardin at att.net (either)