[seqfan] Re: A020497 name needs improvement

Vladimir Shevelev shevelev at bgu.ac.il
Tue Jun 4 13:15:27 CEST 2013

I quite agree with David. For example,  if y=a(2)=3, then, for integer x, the set {x+1, x+2, x+3} should contain twin primes {x+1, x+3} for infinitely many x which is a best known unsolved problem. The name suggested by David seems to be suitable.
On the other hand, even for the existing name, a(n) exists. For example, a(n)<=R(n)/2, where R(n) is the n-th Ramanujan primes (A104272). So, another suitable  name is "Hypothetically minimal values of y such that n primes occur infinitely often among (x+1, ..., x+y), i.e. pi(x+y)-pi(x) >= n for infinitely many x."

Regards,
Vladimir