[seqfan] Re: near multiples of squares in Fibonacci, Lucas, Pell, etc. numbers

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Wed Jun 5 11:47:02 CEST 2013

I suppose at most finitely many.

For x,y consecutive fibonacci numbers an identity is:
x^2+xy-y^2= \pm 1   [A]
where the choice of sign depends on whether x is F_{2n} or F_{2n+1}.
Set in [A] x= a u^2 + b u +c
In general [A] is genus 1 curve and has finitely many integral points.

In the rare case when it is genus 0, it might have infinitely many integral
points, so computing the genus solves finiteness.

On the other hand lucas numbers satisfy L_{2n} = L_n^2 -2 (-1)^n.