[seqfan] Re: Minors and the OEIS

Mitch Harris maharri at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 17:44:31 CEST 2013

- I was really disappointed this was not about counting -graph- minors.

- What could the rationale behind limiting access? I'd like to see reasons.
I can speculate and give counterargument on a couple:
  - web presence - minors are at risk having their identity exposed,
irrelevant to content. But OEIS already hides email addresses which is the
only identifying info. And frankly, being associated with OEIS is a
questionable thing? I think the fear has to be associated with -anything-
on the web then.
  - maturity of submission - a minor is more likely to submit something of
poor quality. I worded that tendentiously. But all submissions are edited
and approved, so passing through inappropriate submissions is controlled.

Also, the OEIS has no enforcement technology.

Anyway, I'd like to see some reasoning as to why not to allow minors
(assuming it's possible to do that).

Mitch

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sequence Fans,
> Tony Noe and I disagree about letting minors (people under 18)
> contribute to the OEIS.
>
> Tony says: "We should be careful [about] allowing such
> young people to contribute.  I would not want my children involved with
> OEIS.  This is for adults.  I urge you to have some kind of age limit.  I
> (and I hope we) do not want sensitive kids in OEIS."
>
> I strongly disagree, and have always
> encouraged high school students to contribute.
>
> I am preparing a report on this matter for the Board of Trustees.
> If any sequence fan has any comments or advice, please write directly
> to me (and tell me if I may quote you by name).
>
> Neil

Mitch