[seqfan] Re: Two interesting integer sequences that could use some help.

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Mar 5 02:51:48 CET 2013

I was out of touch for a while; moving.
I have now recovered my original argument.

We prove that n is in the sequence after
floor(n/2) by induction on the sequence,
not on n. (Strictly speaking, we need to
exclude n = 1 from this result; 0 is not in the
sequence.)

Let n be the first element of the sequence
for which floor(n/2) is not in the sequence.
n must be reached by a square root step,
otherwise n/2 immediately precedes it.
Let n = 2k or 2k+1, so 2k <= n < 2k+2.
The previous term, N, must have n as its
integer square root, so
4k^2 <= N < 4k^2+8k+4. Now, applying the
induction hypothesis twice K = floor(N/4)
must already be in the sequence, and
dividing the preceding inequality by 4 we
get k^2 <= K < k^2+2k+1; hence
floor(sqrt(K)) = k. By the definition of the
sequence, M must be followed by k unless
k is already present. Q.E.D.

>From this result it is immediate that the
sequence is one-to-one; the only way to
duplicate a value is via a doubling step,
and this lemma forbids that.

I think my proof that the sequence is onto
is similar to Max's at a deep level; superficially
it is quite different. We look at frac(lg(lg(a(n))),
where frac is the fractional part, and lg is the
base 2 logarithm. (If you prefer to think in
circles, you can use e^(lg(lg(a(n))*2*pi*i).)

Note that taking the square root of a term
does not change this value; it subtracts
1 from lg(lg(x)), which does not change the
fractional part. Taking the floor does decrease
the value, but this is by a smaller amount than
the increase from a doubling step, and there
are more doubling steps than square root steps.
So the value frac(lg(log(a(n))) increases
cyclically. The size of the increments decreases
to a limit of zero, but their total is infinite; thus the
values are dense in [0,1).

Now if k is the smallest value that has not
appeared, then as soon as we get a value
cyclically between frac(lg(lg(k)) and
frac(lg(lg(k+1))), there will be a sequence of
square root steps leading to k.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters