[seqfan] Re: Cassini transformation of linear recursion of order 3

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 15:01:34 CET 2013

Dear Vladimir,

I don't know to what extent this is "known" but such transformations involving polynomial
functions of the terms of a linear recurrence have nice properties.

For instance, if the sequence (a_n) satisfies a linear recurrence of order N with constant coefficients, then

g_n = P(a_n, a_{n+1}, ... , a_{n+k-1})

also satisfies a linear recurrence with constant coefficients, for any polynomial P in k variables (where w.l.o.g.
we can assume that k is at most N). With a bit of work one could also get an upper bound on
the order of the recurrence for (g_n).

One can easily prove this for sequences defined over the complex numbers, since (generically) one
can write the terms of the first sequence as a sum

a_n = \sum_j   C_j x_j^n

over the roots x_j of the characteristic polynomial of the recurrence for a_n, and then from the polynomial
P one has an expression of the form

g_n = \sum_k D_k y_k^n,

where the y_k are formed from certain products of x_j. Then g_n satisfies

F(S) g_n = 0

where F(S) = \prod _k (S-y_k) and S is the shift operator (sending n -> n+1).

With a bit more work one could come up with a more general proof that would work
with recurrences defined over any field, or over a ring.

Your particular choice of g_n is very nice: it is a 2 x 2 determinant (a discrete Wronskian, or Casorati
determinant).

Best wishes,
Andy