[seqfan] Re: Phil Scovis's problem

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Tue Mar 5 21:02:32 CET 2013

I'm pretty sure you can get equality just by throwing all kinds of primes
in the remaining terms.

Let's see. Take the divisors of A061799(n-1) as the starting point for the
remaining terms, and find the product of the n-1 primes larger than the
greatest prime dividing A061799(n-1). Multiply each of the remaining terms
by the product divided by one of the primes. Then the gcd of the first term
with any of the other terms is distinct by construction, and the gcd of any
other two is the large product divided by two primes times some divisor of
A061799(n-1), but these must be distinct because the two primes are
distinct for any pair.

So that proves it, yes? The only 'deep' question is b(n); a(n) is simple.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University