[seqfan] Re: Cassini transformation of linear recursion of order 3

Vladimir Shevelev shevelev at bgu.ac.il
Tue Mar 5 20:49:42 CET 2013

Thank you, Andy!

I understand that there are general results, but my concrete aim is to find a linear recurrence of order R(N) with constant coefficients for g=a^2(n)-a(n-1)*a(n+1), if a(n) satisfies a linear  recursion of order  N with constant coefficients. Thus my result yields that R(3)=3. I think that even function R(N) is unknown and it is, in my opinion,  an important conctete open problem.  As a continuation of this topic, I proved that R(4)=6. For example, for tetranacci numbers (A000078)  a(n) = a(n-1) + a(n-2) + a(n-3) + a(n-4) with a(0)=a(1)=a(2)=0, a(3)=1, g(n) satisfies a  recursion
g(n) = -g(n-1) - 2*g(n-2) - 2*g(n-3) + 2*g(n-4) - g(n-5) + g(n-6).
I am sure that a concrete recursion for g(n) if a(n) satisfies a linear recursion of order N with constant coefficients is a very interesting and difficult problem. Namely in this sense I asked what results are known, beginning with my one for N=3.

Best regards,
Vladimir