[seqfan] Re: Cassini transformation of linear recursion of order 3

Vladimir Shevelev shevelev at bgu.ac.il
Wed Mar 6 16:22:45 CET 2013

Thank you very much, Richard, for interesting papers, and Andy for formula for R(N)! In fact, I did the same strong conjecture and even sent it to Sequence Fanatics Discussion list but after your proof I cancelled from this posting.
Note only that R(2)=1(not 3)
Indeed, as I proved ealier (see my message to Sequence Fanatics Discussion list from Feb 28 2013), if
a(0)=b,a(1)=c, for n>=2, a(n)=N*a(n-1)+M*a(n-2).
Then for n>=1,
g(n)= a^2(n) - a(n-1)*a(n+1) = (-M)^(n-1)*(c^2-N*b*c-M*b^2).
So g(n) = C*(-M)^(n-1)=-M*g(n-1).

... Nowever the general problem for g(n) still waits for its solution!

Best regards,
Vladimir