[seqfan] Re: Guess the Triangle

Rob Pratt Rob.Pratt at sas.com
Sat Mar 30 01:10:12 CET 2013

Well, idempotent implies that the eigenvalues are 0 and 1, with 0 and 1 on main diagonal, and trace = rank.  So the main diagonal consists of n - 1 ones and 1 zero.  There are n choices for the position of this zero.  If the matrix is upper triangular, the only nonzero elements appear in the column corresponding to the 0 diagonal element, and these n - 1 elements can be arbitrary.  This yields n(k+1)^(n-1) upper triangular matrices.  Similar argument yields the same number of lower triangular matrices.  But the n diagonal matrices have been counted twice, so subtract n.  It remains to show that such matrices must be triangular so that these are the only possibilities.