[seqfan] Re: Fairy chess sequences

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Sun May 12 04:50:28 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Charles Greathouse <
charles.greathouse at case.edu> wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out A180140 recently and I thought I'd come here
> for help. Its name is
>
> Eight rooks and one berserker on a 3 X 3 chessboard. G.f.:
> (1+x+x^2)/(1-3*x-5*x^2).

> x + y + z + 12 = 18, thus the berzerker has 6 moves from the center. Wait,
> 6? There's some kind of symmetry-breaking here that looks like it's going
> to defeat my groupings. But the sequence is defined only up to rotation:
> "starting in a given side square", not "starting in the lower side square".
>
> Can someone help here? There are also related sequences like A180146 with
> similar definitions.

According to chessvariants.org, a Berzerker moves like a Rook but captures
like a Queen.

http://www.chessvariants.org/piececlopedia.dir/whos-who-on-8x8.html
http://www.chessvariants.org/large.dir/madchess.html

Unfortunately, this doesn't help. It appears to me the "fairy chess"
description is just wrong.

Andrew