[seqfan] Re: [math-fun] Re: EXACT matrix factorizations

Victor Miller victorsmiller at gmail.com
Thu May 23 23:07:14 CEST 2013

I've now been able to calculate through a(30).  I also calculated a
sequence in which, in addition, the squared matrix must be invertible.  The
interesting thing is that the ratio between the two tends to 0.4306.
Notice that the probability that a random n by n matrix over GF(2) is
invertible tends to  prod_{j=1}^{\infty} (1-2^j) which is about 0.288, so
that you're a lot more likely to be a square if you're invertible.  Also
the proportion of the squared matrices to all matrices tends to 0.6755.
All of this empirically.

Victor