[seqfan] Re: Two make a palindrome

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 07:20:56 CET 2013

I think one can show that every number must appear (in Eric's palindrome
sequence, in any base). Let me do the binary case
Remark: the only numbers that can't be rearranged to form
a palindrome are those with an odd number of 1's AND an odd number of 0's.

Suppose N is the smallest number that never appears.
Suppose N has i 1's and j 0's. There are 4 cases
depending on the parity of i and j, but the argument is the same in each
case.

It is easy to see that the sequence is infinite.

Let it run for ever. After a while, after T steps, say, all the numbers
less than N that will ever appear have appeared. From now on every number
is bigger than N.
Suppose say that i is even and j is odd.
>From now on, that is, from T steps on, every term must have an odd number
of 1's and an even number of 0's......... (*)
 (Otherwise we could take the next term to be N , getting a number which is
not of the form odd no of 1's AND odd even no of 0's.)

Take a large number M, a long way along in the sequence, of this form. The
next term after M could be - and so must be - a smallish number, just
bigger than N, with an even number of 0's and 1's. This will combine with M
to form a palindrome.
That contradicts (*).

I think the same argument works in any base.
Let N be the smallest missing number.
Then all remaining numbers must be "non-reactive"
with respect to N. But there are infinitely many numbers
that will combine with N and after a while one of them
will be a candidate for the next term, getting a contradiction.

Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com