[seqfan] Re: Two make a palindrome

Rob Arthan rda at lemma-one.com
Tue Nov 12 10:48:13 CET 2013

[Aside: thanks to Maximilian Hasler for checking my calculations and submitting A228407.]

Neil,

I am not sure I see how to complete your argument, but I do have an alternative that
works in the base 2 case. See below:

On 12 Nov 2013, at 06:20, Neil Sloane wrote:

> I think one can show that every number must appear (in Eric's palindrome
> sequence, in any base). Let me do the binary case
> Remark: the only numbers that can't be rearranged to form
> a palindrome are those with an odd number of 1's AND an odd number of 0's.
>
> Suppose N is the smallest number that never appears.
> Suppose N has i 1's and j 0's. There are 4 cases
> depending on the parity of i and j, but the argument is the same in each
> case.
>
> It is easy to see that the sequence is infinite.
>
> Let it run for ever. After a while, after T steps, say, all the numbers
> less than N that will ever appear have appeared. From now on every number
> is bigger than N.
> Suppose say that i is even and j is odd.
> From now on, that is, from T steps on, every term must have an odd number
> of 1's and an even number of 0's......... (*)
> (Otherwise we could take the next term to be N , getting a number which is
> not of the form odd no of 1's AND odd even no of 0's.)
>
> Take a large number M, a long way along in the sequence, of this form. The
> next term after M could be - and so must be - a smallish number, just
> bigger than N, with an even number of 0's and 1's. This will combine with M
> to form a palindrome.
> That contradicts (*).

This sounds plausible, but I am not sure I understand how to complete the argument.
If N has odd numbers of both 0's and 1's, N will not react with an M with
even numbers of both. How do we know we are not going to get an infinite
sequence of numbers of the latter type?

However, for base 2, we can be a bit more precise. A pattern emerges if you tabulate the first
34 values of n, a(n) and the smallest number that is missing from a(1) .. a (n)
(call that m(n) say). Here they are with n in decimal and a(n) and m(n) in binary.
I have put a * alongside the rows where n = 2^i+2 with i >= 3.

     1:        0,        1
     2:       11,        1
     3:        1,       10
     4:       10,      100
     5:      100,      101
     6:      111,      101
     7:     1000,      101
     8:      101,      110
     9:      110,     1001
*  10:     1001,     1010
    11:     1010,     1011
    12:     1100,     1011
    13:     1111,     1011
    14:    10000,     1011
    15:     1011,     1101
    16:     1101,     1110
    17:     1110,    10001
*  18:    10001,    10010
    19:    10010,    10011
    20:    10100,    10011
    21:    10111,    10011
    22:    11000,    10011
    23:    11011,    10011
    24:    11101,    10011
    25:    11110,    10011
    26:   100000,    10011
    27:    10011,    10101
    28:    10101,    10110
    29:    10110,    11001
    30:    11001,    11010
    31:    11010,    11100
    32:    11100,    11111
    33:    11111,   100001
*  34:   100001,   100010

For each n of the form 2^i+2 for i >= 3, a(n) = n-1 and m(n) = n, so for these n
a(1) .. a(n) is a permutation of the integers between 0 and n-1 and a(n) is the
smallest (i+1)-bit number with an even number of 1s. Two numbers with the same
number of bits react iff they both have an even number of 1s or both have an
odd number of 1s. So what happens from 2^i+1 up to 2^(i+1)+1 is that you
get all the (i+1)-bit numbers with an even number of 1s in increasing order,
then 2^(i+1) (i.e., the smallest (i+2)-bit number with an odd number of 1s)
and then all the (i+1)-bit numbers with an odd numbers of 1s in increasing order.

> I think the same argument works in any base.
> Let N be the smallest missing number.
> Then all remaining numbers must be "non-reactive"
> with respect to N. But there are infinitely many numbers
> that will combine with N and after a while one of them
> will be a candidate for the next term, getting a contradiction.

I don't see how to exclude the cases where the missing number N has an
odd number of each of some subset of 2 or more of the digits and the
sequence manages to avoid reacting with N indefinitely, e.g., by never
including any of the digits that occur an odd number of times in N.

I had to abandon my calculations in the base 10 case after a couple of
days. m(n) had persisted at 1579 from n  = 37475 up to 44681. So if
m(n) does tend to infinity (i.e., if a(n) is a permutation of the integers),
it seems to do so quite slowly for large bases.

Regards,

Rob.