[seqfan] Re: A possible characterization of A125121

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sun Nov 17 19:51:07 CET 2013

William: You can tile the integers with 35 by placing the first bit at
positions 3k for integer k.

Allan: Indeed, you were tiling the integers while I was tiling the
nonnegative integers.

Now that the water has been sufficiently muddied, perhaps I can provide some
clarification:

In this thread, we have discussed the following conditions on tileable
numbers:

R: right shift allowed (as opposed to left shift only).
F: Bit reversal (flip) allowed.
N vs Z: Numbers tile the nonnegative integers vs the integers.

This leads to the following possible variants of tileable numbers:

Z-tileable numbers: No such numbers, right shift required to tile negative
integers.
FZ-tileable numbers: No such numbers, right shift required to tile negative
integers.
RZ-tileable numbers: Distinct from sturdy numbers A125121 (69 is in A125121
but not Z-tileable).
RFZ-tileable numbers: Strict superset of Z-tileables (69 is RZ-tileable but
not Z-tileable).
N-tileable numbers: Strict superset of LN-tileable numbers. Numbers of the
form 2^k * LN-tileable number.
FN-tileable numbers: Strict superset of LRN-tileable numbers. Numbers of the
form 2^k * LRN-tileable number.
LN-tileable numbers: All odd. Strict superset of A064896 (51 is LN-tileable,
but not in A064896).
LFN-tileable numbers. All odd. Strict superset of LN-tileable numbers (11 is
LRN-tileable but not LN-tileable).

This leads to 6 distinct variant sequences of tileable numbers, none of
which are presently in the OEIS.
If others are amenable, I will reserve 6 consecutive A-numbers for these
sequences and try to fill them in.

The RZ-tileable numbers were Allan's original idea on this thread.
Allan's earlier conjecture that RZ-tileable = A125121 is incorrect, see
above.

The LN-tileable numbers were my misinterpretation of Allan's idea.
My earlier statement LN-tileable = A064896 is also incorrect, see above.