[seqfan] Re: p = (k + 1)^2 - k = (m + 1)^3 - m and p = (k + 1)^2 + k = (m + 1)^3 + m

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 11:11:44 CEST 2013

These correspond to integer points (k,n) on the elliptic curve

n^2 = k^3 -16*k + 16

which has j-invariant 110592/37. Presumably these are the only such points (up to y->-y), but
I have not checked. (Siegel's theorem says that there are only finitely many such points: see
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/32847/integral-points-on-an-elliptic-curve for an
informal discussion.)

I recognize this curve from its j-invariant: it is the same as the curve corresponding to the
Somos-4 sequence A006720.

However, I'm afraid I missed the discussion leading up to this. I'm not sure whether one should put
this (finite) sequence on the OEIS. One could construct infinitely many sequences of this type by
picking particular Weierstrass models of particular elliptic curves, so is there a strong reason to
include this one?

All the best,
Andy