[seqfan] Sequences K-12 project

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 21:59:36 CEST 2014

Dear Sequences Fans,
Gordon Hamilton and I have been talking about the idea of getting some
integer sequences into the K-12 (Kindergarten-Grade 12) curriculum. Gord
has made some really excellent videos about sequences in the OEIS, one of
which is mentioned in the attachment. There are also links to them from
entries in the OEIS.

The idea is to have a 2-day conference in Banff, Canada, next year, with a
dozen
math teachers, and a dozen sequence people,
with the goal of picking out 13 sequences that
could be used by math teachers (one sequence
for each of the 13 years).

There might also be a virtual conference, run on a web site where people
could sign up and contribute. For people who are unable to travel to Banff.

We would like to hear from OEIS folks who would be interested in this
project. Particularly people who are involved with teaching mathematics.  I
know we have contributors from many different worlds - but I don't know
which of you are math teachers. Please let me or Gord know if you are
interested in helping, or if you know of people who might be.

But we would also like to hear from non-teachers who like the idea, and
would be willing to work on picking out sequences that would appeal to
students. This seems to be a good way to enliven math teaching both in the
USA and in Canada - and of course in other countries.

Here's a link to Gord's video about the Recaman sequence. I think
it is really excellent: http://youtu.be/mQdNaofLqVc

Attached is a rough draft of our proposal for the conference.

Suggestions, comments, etc., will be welcomed.

Neil

--
Dear Friends, I have now retired from AT&T. New coordinates:

Email: njasloane at gmail.com