[seqfan] Re: Sequences K-12 project

charliemath at optonline.net charliemath at optonline.net
Sat Apr 26 19:18:28 CEST 2014

Neil,
I have been a frequent visitor and contributor to OEIS since 2003, about
a year after I retired from teaching high school mathematics for 32
years at Lakeland High School in Shrub Oak, NY.  I don’t regret retiring
when I did, but I do regret not having come upon OEIS much earlier in my
career.  I would love to have shared my enthusiasm for the site with my
students.

Some items for consideration:

     An article in The Mathematics Teacher about OEIS; I still subscribe
and have yet to see one although two articles reference OEIS, one this
month.

     Perhaps a Sequence of the Month column in The Math Teacher as well
as the same type of column in the Council’s two other publications:
Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School and Teaching Children
Mathematics.

     Get in touch with the NCTM about giving a talk at one of their
national or regional conferences.  Next National is in Boston next
April.  See http://www.nctm.org/conferences/content.aspx?id=434 for
upcoming regionals.

     Have keywords like “high school,” “middle school,” “elementary
school” attached to sequences to make it easier for students and
teachers to explore appropriate sequences.  A sequence picked at random
could be offputting to newcomers.

     Among options found at bottom of OEIS home page, include something
along the lines of “Helpful Information for (K-6, 6-12) Students.”

     Consider a separate “OEIS, K-12 edition (version).”

Good idea having a virtual conference; Banff’s beautiful, but not in
everyone’s back yard.

Not sure how I could help, but am certainly interested in doing so.

Regards,
Charlie Marion
Yorktown Heights NY