[seqfan] Re: Sequences K-12 project

Tom Duff td at pixar.com
Mon Apr 28 20:11:56 CEST 2014

Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gordon Hamilton and I have been talking about the idea of getting some
> integer sequences into the K-12 (Kindergarten-Grade 12) curriculum.

Do you know about the Julia Robinson Mathematics Festivals?
I like their approach to K-12 math enrichment. Collaboration
between them and OEIS could be profitable for both organizations.

Here's their web site: http://juliarobinsonmathfestival.org/

They put on events that promote mathematical thinking to K-12 students by
having students tackle interesting sequences of problems that progress
from simple puzzles to open-ended research questions. It's a very fun,
very exciting way to get kids interested in real math.

Here's a link to a large pile of their problem sets:
http://juliarobinsonmathfestival.org/problems.html

A friend (Nancy Blachman) organizes this, and my employer (Pixar) supports
it. I spent a great Saturday a couple of months ago tackling one of their
problem sets (Partner Puzzles on their problems page) with a succession
of excited elementary and secondary school kids.

--
Tom Duff.  If this thing causes the universe to wink out of existence,
it'll have been worth it.