[seqfan] Re: A000041 partition sequence

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Sun Aug 3 10:25:55 CEST 2014

Hi William,

Thanks for the input.  First, yes, the observation about subtracting the
pentagonal recurrence to find 1 makes sense -  in fact, I also included it
in my initial posting, which the editors reverted because (among other
things) it contained too much info.  I intended to make a second posting
(after this one gets published) with this and one or two additional
observations.  But first things first.

Second, I disagree that this is an "obfuscated" version of the Pentagonal
sequence.  As I mentioned in our earlier correspondence:

As the sequence gets larger there are many variations - if you prefer to
call them "baroque", that's fine - but they are defined and easily
calculable;  and I think interesting in and of themselves.   The point
wasn't to show the most efficient calculations of a(n) but a novel way of
approaching them.  But I also expect there are subpatterns which can be seen
more easily with this approach than using a more "efficient" calculation
method (like pentagonals) - so in that regard they may have additional
merit.

I also think it would be useful to add two triangles on the site containing
j-values:
1) the rows of f(g) (pertains to A026794 - Triangular array T read by rows:
T(n,k) = number of partitions of n in which least part is k, 1<=k<=n);
and 2) the rows of F(G).  My only issue is how to show multipliers in the
sequences. (For example, row 5 of f(g) would be   {5, -6, -7,
 2*10, -13, -14, 15}.  does "2*10" make sense?).  But again, that's a
question for another time.

Anyway, the reason I asked for input on the Seqfan list was at the urging of
an editor; I was hoping for clarification on the proper way to format the
ideas (notation, terms, phrasing, etc.) and to see if the comment or formula
is preferred as a post on A000041 (partition sequence).   I intend to offer
a comment or formula one way or the other and let the editors decide,
ultimately, if it should be posted.  I just want to use the best format and
most understandable language.

Cheers,
Bob
PS - as I mentioned in our off-list correspondence I made a couple typos in
the posted comment.  For others reading this email: Most importantly, the
j<=2g+1 constraint applies only for F(G), not f(g); so f(4) =  a(n-4) -
a(n-5) - a(n-6) + a(n-7) - a(n-7) + a(n-8) + a(n-9) - a(n-10) (final term
added);    My apologies for the error.