[seqfan] Re: A sort of composition

Frank Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Aug 19 05:30:21 CEST 2014

And those two, A103446 and A218482, are the solution. There is some
question whether David's sequence should have a(0) = 0 or 1, so either
one could be considered correct.

Take a partition of m, and use it to determine the row lengths. There
are then C(n-1,m-1) ways to distribute values totaling n into those m
boxes. Thus a(n) = sum(p(m)*C(n-1,m-1)), and t his is the binomial
transform of the partition numbers, as specified in A103446.

For example, n=3, and m=2, there are 2 partitions of 2: [2] and [1,1].
[2] gives us a single row of length 2, and the C(3-1,2-1) = C(2,1) = 2
ways to fill it are 2,1 and 1,2. Likewise, partition [1,1] gives two
rows of length 1, and we fill it with

2
1

or

1
2

. So the term for these values of n and m is p(2) * C(2,1) = 2*2 = 4.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters