[seqfan] Re: Help with posting comment for partition numbers

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Fri Aug 22 10:33:49 CEST 2014

Thank you very much, Olivier, for your helpful critique.

You've given me much to consider.  You may have guessed that I am not a
trained mathematician, so I'm trying to learn standard notation, terms and
conventions as I go.  This can be daunting; but I will look into what you've
suggested and try to absorb as much as possible.  Using my own approach and
notation is the best I can do at the moment; if there is a way to approach
these equations in a more conventional and meaningful way, I would like to
learn.

In the meantime, there are a few of your comments  I can address now.
First, I am somewhat familiar with the pentagonal theorem and understand
some of how it applies here; clearly, the initial terms of the equations
involve pentagonals (i.e., MacMahon's recurrence), with variations after.
As I see it, while the 1+ sum_f(k) equations (for lack of a better term) are
less elegant than MacMahon's; they offer more variety.  So for P(250),
MacMahon offers one beautiful equation; the 1+sum_f(k)'s offer 125 different
equations (albeit generally not as beautiful), all related to each other and
generated by one simple process.    Perhaps that is per se interesting, or
even potentially useful, and (eventually) worthy of an oeis comment?

I had considered that it would be better to create a triangle, based on the
numeric values in the terms with their attendant coefficients  - I've
checked and there don't appear to be any corresponding sequences in the
oeis.  But I don't know the format for including coefficients in triangles,
so I avoided doing it.  Is there a way to format such a triangle?

re:   >> Referring to the equations f(k) in sequence A026794: a(n) = 1 +
>> sum{k=1..k}  f(k), when k+1<=n<=2k+1.

Yes, that is not clear.  What I mean is: sum the terms in the equations
f(1), f(2), f(3)... f(k).  So perhaps sum_{i=1..k} f(i) when  k+1<=n<=2k+1
makes sense?

Cheers,
Bob