[seqfan] Re: Sequence proposal by John Mason (by way of moderator)

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Thu Aug 28 21:57:25 CEST 2014

Dear SeqFans,

Since that sequence seems still not yet there, I made a start with
https://oeis.org/draft/A246521
List of free polyominoes in binary coding, ordered by number of bits,
then value of the binary code. Can be read as irregular table with row
lengths A000105.

It would be easy to write a short & simple program which could
generate the n-ominos by "growing" (n-1)-ominoes, represented as sets
of the coordinates (x,y) of the squares, into all possible directions,
and making a check for congruence modulo rotation or axial symmetry.
(Imposing e.g. that the maximal y-coordinate is never larger than the
maximal x-coordinate could avoid producing/considering irrelevant
"duplicate" configurations.)

I will also add a the versions corresponding to the fixed polyomials
counted in A000988 and A001168.

Once again, more general 2-dimensional patterns could be coded in the same way,
e.g. the burst patterns counted in A093424.

Reciprocally, nonnegative integers could be classified according to what
what would be the "canonical" representation of the pattern
represented by their bitmap
(with or without "modulo" chirality and/or rotations)
and in particular one could make lists of those representing (any)
polyominoes, 1-, 2-, 3-,.. n-ominoes,
etc.
Any contributions are welcome.

Maximilian