[seqfan] Re: A098550.

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 07:33:04 CET 2014

Hi All,

I think I have a proof that the sequence is a permutation, which is not too
complicated. Essentially the proof just uses the fact co-prime numbers work
similar to prime numbers.

Thm. A098550 is a permutation of the natural numbers.

It is helpful to define for sequence A098550 another sequence

a[n_] := Complement[ Range[n + 1], A098550[[1 ;; n]]  ][[ 1 ]]

which is well defined for all n, and finds the smallest integer not
included up to A09855[ n ].

After a[30] = 18 the sequence a[n] ~appears~ to fall in line with the
primes; that is, whenever a[n] changes value, it changes from one prime to
the next largest. If it is the case that

Conjecture 1. All a[n] for n > 30 are successive primes,

then it must be the case that all numbers appear because any given prime
number occurs in sequence:

Assume that all prime numbers up to the prime p[n] occur. Then all
composite numbers x up to p[n] can occur, and

x < p[n] < p[n+1]

implies that

p[?] x < p[?] p[n] < p[?] p[n+1]

where p[?] is a prime less than p[n] already occurring as a factor in the
series. There are only N[ p[?] ] ( p[n] - 1 ) such inequalities, where N[
p[?] ] is number of primes less than p[n]. After these possibilities have
been exhausted, the prime p[n] must already have occurred in the sequence
or must occur next in sequence.

Conjecture 1 remains a mystery to me, but it can be worked around involving
the values a[n].

Define four different states { N, B, C, D }:

( Using shorthand A = A098550 )

N)    A[ n -1 ],    a[ n ]       not co-prime
        A[ n ],       a[ n ]           co-prime

B)    A[ n -1 ],    a[ n ]           co-prime
        A[ n ],       a[ n ]           co-prime

C)    A[ n -1 ],    a[ n ]           co-prime
        A[ n ],       a[ n ]         not co-prime

 D)    A[ n -1 ],    a[ n ]       not co-prime
        A[ n ],       a[ n ]       not co-prime

The state transition diagram has B --> B or C, C --> D or N, D --> D or N.

Whenever the sequence reaches state N as in Next, the next element of the
sequence is A[ n + 1 ] = a[ n ] the previously missing smallest number, and
the sequence goes into some arbitrary state. Thus the sequence includes
every number as long as it never gets stuck in an B-loop or a D-loop.

Exploration of the state sequence introduces a new conjecture, which is
related to Conjecture 1:

Conjecture 2. the sequence never reaches state D.

But this conjecture does not matter because prime numbers occur throughout
the sequence and primes are co-prime to all numbers, so an infinite D-loop
cannot exist.

Recycling the logic used above let the smallest un-included number a[n] =
x, and count p[??] to equal N[ p[??] ] all the prime numbers co-prime to x
satisfying

p[??] < x < p[m].

where p[m] is the smallest prime number larger than x. The numbers p[??]
multiply together to form less than or equal to ( x-1 ) composite numbers y
satisfying

y < x,

which implies,

p[??] y < p[??] x < p[??] p[m].

If the sequence is in state B, it can move around exploring the various p[
?? ] y only until the finite set of inequalities, less than or equal to N[
p[??] ] ( x - 1 ) of them, becomes exhausted. At which point the sequence
must have somewhere included

p[??] x

Changing the state from B to C. This shows that no infinite B-loop can
exist, thus the sequence always reaches another state N, and then the
sequence always includes the next smallest un-included number.

There is one caveat related to the conjectures: practically the sequence
always reaches p[ ?? ] x, but in the proof logic, it could reach p[ ?? ]
factor[ x ]. Regardless, the state still changes from B to C, breaking the
B-Loop, etc.

As the sequence always includes the next smallest number, and never
includes a number twice, it must be a permutation of the natural numbers.

~

Please send questions or comments,
especially if you think I am somewhere in error.

Thanks,

 Brad