[seqfan] Re: Listing articles under links

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Sat Feb 15 14:33:46 CET 2014

Dear SeqFans,

I do agree that a reference needs not to be there twice.
However, IMHO, one should be allowed to add references with links in the
REFERENCES section.
I there there would be much more "added value"/information/sense in
distinguishing:

REFERENCES = articles published in books or journals (typically: with
editorial board and/or reviewing process)
vs
LINKS = links to web pages, blogs, pictures, supporting files...
(typically, self-publication)

rather than

REFS = refs w/o link
vs
LINKS = anything with links

Nowadays, almost any serious scientific publication has a DOI and thus a
link ; any book has an ISBN and thus a link.
So the REFERENCES field will tend to collect only "outdated" references of
the 1900's,
and become much less significant than it should be.
So once again I'd be strongly in favour of allowing (and encouraging, but
not requiring) links in the REFERENCES field, and put any "serious"
reference rather there than into LINKS.

Maximilian