[seqfan] Re: A236019

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Mon Jan 20 14:59:07 CET 2014

In my experience, less/great generally refers to value while small/large
generally refers to size (magnitude).

Thus -12 is less than 3 (in value), but larger than 3 (in magnitude).
Note that when we talk about numbers near zero, we talk about "small
numbers" not "lesser numbers".
Likewise, a negative number of large magnitude is a "large negative number"
not a "great negative number".

Under this strict interpretation, the "least common multiple" of two numbers
would not exist in Z (only in Z+). In Z, "Smallest common multiple" would be
better, but still ambiguous with respect to sign.