[seqfan] Re: Matrix defined sequence count

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Sun Jan 26 06:03:19 CET 2014

There is a graph-theoretic interpretation of this. An m x m matrix M of 0's
and 1's is the adjacency matrix of a directed graph (not necessarily
simple, i.e. loops are allowed) of m vertices, and (M^n)_{1,1} is the
number of n-step walks starting and ending at vertex 1. Variants of this
would include restricting the matrix to be symmetric (corresponding to an
undirected graph) and having all 0's on the diagonal (so the (directed)
graph is simple).

Robert Israel
University of British Columbia and D-Wave Systems