[seqfan] Re: New "knife" sequence

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 19:38:49 CEST 2014

Followup to Eric June 26 "sister" to A243357. Eric said:
(start)
The « knife » sequence https://oeis.org/A243357
could have a « sister » one (where the digit dividing Z
is not the last one of Z but the digit immediately
to the right of the "cut".

> Lexicographically earliest sequence with property
that if a vertical line is drawn between any pair of
adjacent digits, the number Z formed by the digits
to the left of the line is divisible by the first
digit following Z.

The pattern of this new sequence is strange! (if I
did not make too many mistakes):

S = 1,11,3,7,71,31,111,113,33,117,331,1111,1311,1331,9,...
(end)
I guess we choose the next term, a(n), to be the minimal *number*
not already in the sequence, not containing any zero digits,
such that the property " if a vertical line is drawn between any pair of
adjacent digits, the number Z formed by the digits
to the left of the line is divisible by the first
digit following Z"
holds.
So even if Z is prime, the next term can start with a 1.
So if Z is divisible by d \in {2,3,...,9} the next term can
start with 1 or d, otherwise it must start with 1.
There is a question to be decided.
Are we trying to get the earliest string of DIGITS,
or the earliest string of NUMBERS. I say "NUMBERS",
otherwise we have to consider the possibility that a(n) = 11113...11
or some other long number would be better.

Then what I get is

1,11,3,7,x

Now 11137 = 7*37*43, so x starts with 1 or 7. Eric took x=71.
But a smaller legal x is 12, so we get
1,11,3,7,12 (?).  Ahah, Eric was right, x cannot be 12,
because 111371 is prime, so not divisible by 2.
So x is not 12, 13, ..., 19.
The next smallest x is 71, and this works.

This is very tricky. I will create an entry for this,
A244471, in the hope
that someone will program it and check it.

Neil