[seqfan] Re: Numbers x such that the base 10 representation of x^2 forms an arithmetic sequence when split into equal-sized chunks

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Wed Jul 2 21:20:05 CEST 2014

Hmm. Given a 4n-digit number the first n digits can be arbitrary (except
that the first can't be 0) and the last has only the modular constraint
that the difference between it and the first block is divisible by 3, but
then the other two blocks are entirely constrained. So the 'probability'
that a given 4n-digit number is of this form is about 1/(3 * 100^n).
Between 10^(4n-1) and 10^(4n) there are about 100^n * (1 - sqrt(1/10)) =
0.68... * 100^n squares, and so out of these the expected number of
examples is . So the expected number of cases up to x is about 0.228 *
log_10(x) or 0.0990 * log(x).

(insert standard disclaimer about heuristics here)

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University