[seqfan] Re: Offsets of Large Integers Decomposed into Decimal Digits

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 02:43:56 CEST 2014

Dear Hans, I understand your point, and indeed
the offset for decimal expansions has always been a bit strange. But there
is logic behind it, going bak 50 years

The present convention was aimed at numbers like pi = 3.14149..., which
gets offset 1,
and
10.877654... (I made that up) which gets offset 2,
and
.414 ... (sqrt(2)-1) which gets offset 0
In fact numbers like .3030... are the most common,
and they all get offset 0

Numbers like e = 2.71828.. get offset 1

Given those constraints, everything else is determined.

The system wasn't set to handle numbers like the speed of light, but it
handles them in a contistent manner, giving c an
offset of 9  , see A003678

Furthermore , although it gives strange results at times,
the present system is long-established, so I don't think it should be
changed

Best regards

Neil