[seqfan] Re: ApSimon's Mints

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Tue Jun 17 02:37:14 CEST 2014

max(SUM P_r, SUM Q_r) is the largest number of coins we need to weigh at a
time. It could be sensible to measure this if, for example, our scale had a
limited capacity. But Tanya's question (and ApSimon's, apparently) is about
the total number of coins we need to request from each branch, supposing
that we keep them through the two weighings which is SUM max(P_r, Q_r).

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University