[seqfan] Re: MathJax

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Tue Jun 24 21:28:57 CEST 2014

> One big problem, though, is the fact that the database is so dynamic,
with a sequence possibly having multiple edits on a given day, so the wiki
a-pages might be nearly impossible to maintain with any real accuracy.

Yes -- keeping two versions in sync is a losing proposition. Two entirely
separate versions would no doubt drift apart -- and take more work to
maintain.

The furthest I'd want to go would be something like

%F a(n) = (n + log n)/(log log n) + O(sqrt(n)).
%Ftex a(n) = \frac{n + \log n}{\log\log n} + O(\sqrt n).

where everything is kept together, but that still has the possibility for
drift. Another possibility (ignoring the massive conversion issues for a
moment) would be to keep TeX lines only and have an automatic conversion to
plain text. This is quite successful for simple formulas but I'm not sure
how well complex formulas are handled.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University