[seqfan] Re: Help for knives (and huge computer time)!

Hans Havermann gladhobo at teksavvy.com
Thu Jun 26 20:17:44 CEST 2014

After 14, 18, 34, 38, 54, 58, comes 74, 78, 94, 98, ... I wish now I hadn't trashed my notebook because my approach to programming the sequence was to first eliminate all those numbers that weren't about to show up. The non-entries are simply built on divisibility: A multiple of 4 or 8 ending in 4 or 8 (respectively) is always preceded by an even digit. One can eliminate not only these 10 numbers but any larger numbers containing their digits-string as a substring. Once one has done that one can move to three-digit divisibility criteria. If I remember correctly I had 58 possible 3-digit substrings (after numbers containing 0, 14, 18, 34, 38, 54, 58, 74, 78, 94, 98 substrings were eliminated) that prevented numbers from belonging in the sequence.