[seqfan] Re: Numbers and 'forms'.

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 16:25:17 CEST 2014

Peter said " a form represents n by
integers x, y if and only if x != 0."

The authorities disagree.

 David Cox, "Primes of the Form x^2+ny^2" (Wiley), first edition
page 24; second edition, p 22; says
"An integer m is represented by a form f(x,y) if the equation
m = f(x,y) has an integer solution in x and y."

Buell, Binary Quadratic Forms, Springer, page 1,
says
A form f(x,y) represents an integer m, positive, negative, or zero, if
there exist
integers x_0, y_0 such that  a x_0^2+b x_0 y_0 + c y_0^2 = m."