[seqfan] Re: a^2 + b^3 = c^4

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Tue May 6 12:18:48 CEST 2014

I'm not sure how the c sequence works as an index on the other two, since for the same
value of c there could be more than one pair (a,b) which works.

For fixed c, this is an elliptic curve in the (a,b) plane. It is more commonly written as

y^2 = x^3 + d

taking (x,y,d) = (-b, a, c^4). Siegel's theorem says that for fixed d (i.e. fixed c) there are
only finitely many integer solutions.

For a beautiful introduction to Siegel's theorem see the article

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1005.0315v3.pdf

which is published in American Mathematical Monthly.

All the best
Andy