[seqfan] Re: A000984

Li-yao Xia li-yao.xia at ens.fr
Thu May 8 00:05:40 CEST 2014

Hi,

 > (...) "Number of words on {a,b} of length 2n such that no prefix of
the word contains more b's than a's." I'm not sure that I understand
[that comment]. Can someone explain?

For n=2, the list of such words (of length 2n) is:

"aaaa", "aaab", "aaba", "aabb", "abaa", "abab";

and we can check that for any word, e.g., "aaba", and any of its
prefixes (including itself), e.g., "aab", there are at least as many a's
as b's.

That comment correctly[*] describes sequence A000984 (central binomial
coefficients, C(2n,n)). It differs from A000108 (Catalan numbers,
C(2n,n)/(n+1)), i.e., the number of Dyck words of length 2n, in that
there can be more a's than b's. In fact such words are precisely
prefixes of Dyck words.

[*] There is a proof in the following excerpt (Prop. 8.1.2, p6, using
Lem. 8.1.1, p5), which shows a bijection between Dyck prefixes and words
with equally many a's and b's:

http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~schaeffe/Biblio/PoulalhonSchaeffer-050204.pdf

(And Dyck words are their intersection.)