[seqfan] Re: Number of arrangements of n lines in the plane, A241600

Jon Wild wild at music.mcgill.ca
Fri May 16 04:08:47 CEST 2014

Dear Neil,

I tried computing a very similar sequence at some point--it's different
from yours in that I wasn't interested (at that time) in arrangements that
included more than two lines crossing in a single point, and I required
the lines to cross every other line. I submitted it (with Laurence Reeves)
as A090338 in 2004. I'm confident of the results up to 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 6,
43, 922, but I am no longer sure if the next term (8 lines) should have
been 38609 or 38612. At some point you can have an abstract arrangement
that can't be realised with straight lines, and we thought we could show
that that was the case for 3 of the n=8 arrangements. In A090339 we threw
out the requirement that the lines be straight; one of the three
arrangements that we thought was only possible with curved lines is shown
here:

https://oeis.org/A090339/a090339.gif

Afterwards I remember something made me unsure of that proof, but it's a
little hazy in my mind and I'm no longer in touch with Laurence Reeves. I
can't remember what we did for handedness! (I mean, I don't remember if
reflections were counted as equivalent). I also can't remember the
derivation of the name we gave these arrangements--"flups". (An acronym
for "flat, undirected p[something]", I think.)

We described these arrangements as collections of line *segments*, that
all crossed one another (with no triple points and no "T" junctions),
rather than arrangements of (infinite) lines. The next sequence would have
been those arrangements where lines do not have to all cross one another,
which I discovered a neat method for enumerating, once you have all the
fully crossing arrangements (which are simple to count if you don't care
about the straight-line condition)--but we never quite finished generating
the results cleanly before my collaborator disappeared. I have an older
version done by hand up to n=5, which if I remember correctly had about
270-280 possibilities.

I also did some work on the number of arrangements of circles in the
plane, under various conditions, which I need to turn into a proper entry
at some point. Here's a picture of the first 60 or so arrangements for
n=4:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~wild/circles_nEquals4_page1.png

When I first counted these arrangements I was very tickled to see the
sequence started (for n=2, 3, 4...) as 3,14,159. If the next entry had
been 2653 I would have had a heart attack (decimal expansion of pi). But
on recomputing for n=4 I found I had missed a few, and the true result is
168, not 159.

Jon Wild