[seqfan] Re: Smallest index of Fibonacci-like sequence containing n

Dale Gerdemann dale.gerdemann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:00:17 CET 2014

I remade my video now following the suggestion of using (n,0) rather than
(0,n):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qeBPOmBwAs&feature=youtu.be

For each n, I plot the seed pairs for 1,2,3,...,Lucas(n). The resulting
graphs look very much like some kind of "Proof Without Words," though I am
unsure how to interpret the geometric shapes.

The colors, as before, indicate relative frequency of occurrence. To the
color key in the upper right, I added for each frequency, the number of
seed pairs that occur with that frequency. So, for example, at the
14-second mark, one can see that the seed pairs for 1,2,3,..,29 consist of
4 pairs which occur once, three pairs that occur twice and one pair each
for frequencies 3,4,5 and 7. By examining these frequency of frequencies,
one can guess an identity of the form:

Lucas(n) = 1*Lucas(n-4) + 2*Lucas(n-5) + ... + (n-5)*Lucas(2) + (n-4) +

This seems like an awkward identity to me, though perhaps there is a way to
beautify it.

Dale