[seqfan] Re: Sequence Idea

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 21:08:34 CEST 2014

David said:
> The quadratic residues always include 0 and need not be coprime to the
modulus.
This is not the usual definition, which is the following:

Ireland and Rosen, page 50: "If (a,m)=1, a is called a quad res mod m if
the congruence x^2 == a (mod m) has a solution. Otherwise a is called a
quad nonresidue mod m."

This excludes 0 and does require relatively prime.

It is pointless to argue about definitions.  The OEIS should contain all
possible interpretations of this notion.