[seqfan] Re: A033791

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Wed Oct 15 18:32:37 CEST 2014

Hi David,

I am not looking at the sequence just now but I guess theta_2 is a theta function in Jacobi's classical notation: see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_function

under "auxiliary functions". In the combinatorial setting, counting partitions, you want to set the first argument z=0, which gives the q-series

\sum q^{(n+1/2)^2}

where the sum is from n=-infinity to +infinity.

A good classical reference is A Course of Modern Analysis by Whittaker & Watson. The first volume of Mumford's Tata Lectures on Theta is also great, and has a more modern point of view.

All the best,
Andy