[seqfan] Re: A002831 incompatible with A002830

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 05:04:34 CEST 2014

Sean,
I found the letter that Ron Read sent me on 4 Feb 1971
containing A002830, A002831 and a number of other sequences.
He says all these sequences appeared in his 1958 thesis (which I do not have).

Since most of these sequences were included in the 1973
Handbook and the 1995 Encyclopedia, Ron's table is worth preserving,
so I will scan it and put it on the OEIS server and make links to it
from the relevant sequences.

Concerning A002831, can you correct it and add your new terms?
In the Extension section, say something like
a(5) and a(6) corrected and new terms a(7) and a(8) computed by Sean
A. Irvine, Sep 08 2014.
I will add a reference to Read's letter and say something about the
errors. I'm also creating a new entry, A246598, for
the incorrect values, describing it as an erroneous version of A002831
(so that if anyone sees it in the two books, they will
get a pointer to the correct version - that's what we usually do with
published but incorrect sequences).

Good work, catching these errors from the distant past!

Neil